Friday, July 27, 2012

Respect and Responsibility, Have they really disappeared?

Since I was a child my father has told me "If you pick up one end of the stick, you have to pick up the other". His meaning was that if you make a decision to do something you can't choose the consequence. That goes for any decision you make, not just the bad ones. Growing up I have thought of that many times, mostly when I might be making a bad decision. The whole idea of cause and effect, action and reaction, choice and consequence is also tightly weaved in with responsibility and respect.


Over the last few weeks I've read news articles, watched videos and seen comments made by people about the government, religion, groups of people, and individuals that completely shock me. One such instance was a recent article I read on a news website, describing the mayors of Chicago and Boston deciding to ban permits to the fast food restaurant Chick-fil-A because the owner came out against gay marriage. Now I don't want to start a whole discussion on gay marriage, but I want to talk about responsibility and respect. Or lack there of.

 It is the responsibility of the mayor of a city to make decisions in the best interest of the citizens and business of that city. How is the city of Chicago benefiting from banning a business that will bring in jobs and serve their community? Also, when did a government body have the right to persecute a group because of their personal, religious beliefs? Isn't it the responsibility of a governing body to promote the free exchange of ideas, the freedom to practice a religion, and the protection of those freedoms and rights? In today's climate, I feel that if you have an opinion outside of the mainstream media, you are persecuted and subjected to harassment and hate acts. Example is the situation with Brad Pitts mother coming out against President Obama and homosexuality. The threats on her life,the wishes of death and the threats of rape and bodily harm were horrible. I thought our country was built on the ideas of freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom of OPINION.

Brad Pitt and Mother 
But what about respect? Is anything that is happening right now respectful of others and their views? No. When did our country turn into a place where only the mainstream media was allowed to have an opinion? In my life, I have had friends of many walks of life, all of whom have respected my personal beliefs, while I also respect theirs. The whole idea of the freedom to live the life you want, while respecting that same freedom in others has disappeared in our country. Now the only way to live the life you want is to live it the way the liberal media dictates.

 I believe we still live in a great country, but I wonder . . . How long until we no longer live in a country that will allow you to live your beliefs in peace?

1 comment:

  1. well said Hayley! I definitely find this whole Chic-fil-a thing very appalling. Our country is definitely loosing the foundations and principles it was founded on. The sad thing is, it's most likely going to get worse before it gets better.

    ReplyDelete