Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Selling a car, more like trial of patience!!

A few months ago, my brother-in-law left on his mission for the LDS church and we were asked to sell his car. At first this seemed like shooting fish in a barrel. There was a problem with the air intake valve, but I thought it wasn't going to be a big set back. Boy was I wrong. We've now had this car on the market for three months. THREE MONTHS! The last time we sold a car it was gone in a week. Literally a WEEK! Posted on Monday and sold by Friday.  

We originally posted it in May. We had a ton of response, lots of calls, lots of texts and lots of emails about the car. A lot of people came to see it, and without fail, every person wanted to take it to their mechanic. We had a few offers, but we both felt like we could get a little more. So we said no to the $1100, and also no to the $800. We pushed forward posting the car and showing it . . . with no luck. 

In June I decided we needed to lower the price of the car, hoping we would get better response. Wrong again. We actually have less people interested in the car now, then we did before. But as my mother always tells me 'You don't need everyone to see it, only the RIGHT one.' So we soldiered on! However as the weeks come and go without any bites, I was starting to loose faith. Why does no one want to car? It's a great car! It works well and drives well, ignoring the revving in park and idle. Other then that, it is great!

Beginning of July, I reposted the ad. One last try! Just a few hours after the posting went up, Weston got a text message asking about the car. It was a younger girl and she was looking for her first car. What a great car for a first car!! Her father came to look at it in the afternoon, and this one was all on me. Weston was at work so I had to do it myself. AHHHHH! I'm not a good sales person and I was totally scared.

The father took the car out for a test drive, had a few questions when he came back, then left. However, he really wanted to make sure the car was available when he came back, because he gave me a $100 deposit. Wow! Things are looking up! He wanted to come back later that night to take it to his mechanic.

Later that night he came by (WOW) and took the car to get looked at. He was only gone for a few minutes, (like 15 min), which totally worried me. But when he came back, he said . . .

"We'll take a chance on it!" and handed Weston $1000 to add to the $100 deposit.

WE SOLD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment